icky defense stuff."
BREAKING 01/30/09 7:41PM ET: Fox News Television reports that Barack Obama has issued a demand that the Pentagon reduce its budget by more than 10%. The dollar figure is $55 billion.
President Obama wants to spend a trillion dollars on welfare, condoms, international STD prevention, 600,000 new government jobs and handouts for illegal immigrants... but negative funding for the very mission his Presidential Oath required.
This man said he would cut combat systems and the development thereof, and now he's going to try to do it. Among the things in the current 'stimulus'(i.e. "Spend everything we can get our dirty hands on") bill are
• $83 billion in welfare payments (the earned income credit for people who don't pay income tax)
• $81 billion for Medicaid
• $66 billion on "education", more than the entire Department of Education required just ten years ago
• $36 billion for expanded unemployment benefits
• $20 billion for food stamps
• $8 billion on "renewable energy" projects, which have a low or negative return
• $7 billion for "modernizing federal buildings and facilities"
• $6 billion on urban transit systems, dominated by unions and which, almost universally, lose money
• $2.4 billion for "carbon-capture demonstration projects"
• $2 billion for child-care subsidies
• $1 billion for Amtrak, the federal railroad that's run in the red for 40 years
• $650 million for "digital TV conversion coupons" (on top of billions already spent)
• $600 million on new cars for government (added to the $3 billion already spent each year)
• $400 million for "global-warming research"
• $50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts
He wants to spend almost half-again what he wants Defense to cut in an increase in welfare payments. You know, the program he's already trying to remove limits on?
And this is from a guy who insists on using an electronic device that is in no way safe from hacking, and is listening to people like Levin:
Update V: Via Reuters, Sen. Carl Levin (D-MI) says that long-range U.S. antiballistic missile system should be scaled down as part of a belt-tightening.
Yell at the Senators, people; loud and long.
*Yes, I originally yelled incorrectly about the digital conversions; I should read more closely when I'm that pissed. Still, 650m? On top of what's already been spent? Bullcrap.