Sunday, November 11, 2007

Veteran's Day

QandO has a very good piece on who all it covers: ALL the people who get the job done so those at the point of the spear can defeat the enemy.

And, I realize I'm a day late, but Happy Birthday, Marine Corps.

This Vet's Day is a bit unusual for me. Last year at this time son was in AIT; today he's at a camp in Iraq getting the job done, alongside a whole lot of other sons and daughters. Hot, dusty, carrying a huge weight of armor and weapons and responsibility, and getting the job done.

Every once in a while I catch myself in that parent thing, the image of him with a lapful of kitten almost as big as he is or dog bigger than he is, or receiving a kick in the butt when caught at something gets overlaid with the image of him now. Time do go on.

Added: I occurs to me there's a lot on the line in the families: son's wife is at a base stateside, and her brother is Airborne, over in Iraq for, I believe, the third time.

No comments: