Friday, August 17, 2007

As my experience now says, Don't Buy Pentax

They may make good cameras, but their red-dots suck. And so does their 'customer support'.

About a month ago at Dealer Days at H&H Range, there was a Pentax dealer. One of the things shown was their HS10 red-dot sight. Not bad, I thought, small & light, would fit nicely on the M1 Carbine, and the man said they'd been tested clear up to .454 Casull revolvers for recoil tolerance. So I laid down my money and took it home.

Fast-forward to range day, where I discover this is a piece of crap. The adjustments are uneven(sometimes a slight turn makes a BIG move, sometimes a BIG turn doesn't move at all), so it took a bit to get it zeroed at 50 yards. And then it lost zero. Reseat the battery(I know, but just in case), no difference. Damn thing now wandered all over the place.

I checked the Pentax site and it has their 'customer service' link to contact them. They say someone will get back to you within three business days. Bullshit. I sent and waiting a week, no response. So, just to see, I sent again, being sure to mention the first no-response.

It's been just over a week. And sure enough, no response. Pentax either doesn't read their web contact forms, or don't give a crap about their customers. So I look up their 800 number and decide to have everything handy before I call.

Yeah, you know what's coming.

I can't find the damn receipt, despite having set it with some others. Which means even if Pentax came through I couldn't return it.

Losing the receipt was my bad. Selling a defective product and then not responding to multiple requests for assistance, their bad.

PENTAX RED-DOT SIGHTS SUCK!

PENTAX RED-DOT SIGHTS SUCK!

PENTAX RED-DOT SIGHTS SUCK!

PENTAX RED-DOT SIGHTS SUCK!

PENTAX RED-DOT SIGHTS SUCK!

No comments: