Wednesday, July 04, 2007

It's a bit humbling at times

to find out what a firearm you own is capable of when your clumsy self is taken out of the equation.

This is the first handgun I owned, a Ruger













New Model Super Single-Six(yes, all this really is the model) . .22- caliber single-action revolver that came with both a .22LR and .22 Magnum cylinder. Adjustable sights, and- this being the 'New Model'- the hammer block so you can carry it fully loaded. I've had a lot of fun with this over the years, and it was the first pistol my kids fired.

As part of my celebration of the 4th, one thing I did today was sit down at a bench with a solid rest and fire this at 25 yards. Had the frame solidly placed on the rest to remove as much error as possible, and it did this:


















That is six rounds of Federal Champion .22LR, the inexpensive stuff I usually buy at Academy. I promise you, I have never in my life been able to shoot a group approaching that offhand no matter how carefully I tried. Even from a rest it's rare that I can group them like this, but the pistol seems to be able to do it with no problem.

It's a standard saying that many- maybe most- firearms are capable of greater accuracy than most people are capable of getting from them. Not just a saying, folks.

No comments: