Thursday, March 15, 2007

Range report, further on the FPS modification

I mentioned in the first post that I'd ordered two of the oversize stops. Since with the first one A: I didn't mess it up and B: it worked so well, I spent part of last night fitting the other to my Kimber Compact. Face it, anything that makes a difference in felt recoil in a full-size 1911 should help a smaller one to some extent, and if it made no difference, nothing had been changed on the gun to make me sit on the firing line yelling "Crap! It didn't work! How and I gonna get this back to normal?!?"

Following the information from Tuner in the M1911.Org posts, I cut the bevel on this one bigger than on the full-size; the shorter, lighter slide doesn't have as much momentum to trade off so if you make it too small, you'll get failures from the slide not cycling all the way. Didn't make it much bigger, as I'd rather find out I need to cut it a bit larger than that I may have cut it too far.

This evening I put some S&B ball, some handloads with 230-grain cast bullets(a bit lighter load than the S&B) and some Gold Dot 185-grain hollow points through it. I had one GD case get caught between the slide & barrel, which with this short a test may just mean 'Stuff happens', or I may need to cut the bevel a touch larger. I think it's probably the 'Stuff', because everything else, every other time, went through without a burp. I even loaded one magazine with a mix of all three, and they all cycled.

The difference in recoil was flat amazing. This had always, with full-power loads, flipped the muzzle up a fair bit and torqued to the right; now the recoil was straight up, much less rise and no twist. Which made for faster recovery. Ejection tended to be to a lesser distance than in the past. There was one disconcerting thing: I had several cases bounce off my forehead, which had never happened before. All with the S&B or Gold Dots, the handloads all went off more to the right.

I need to test this more, of course; with a carry piece, there's no other option. I do have to say that the results so far are quite good. More testing, more shooting, DAMN! the things you have to do...

No comments: