Sunday, November 26, 2006

It's amazing what you see

when the season is closed

I had a chance to go out this weekend and pursue the elusive whitetail. No, Bambi has not left the forest, at least not through my efforts.

Saturday had a beautiful shot at a big doe, broadside at about 60-65 yards. Slight problem: the guy I was hunting with was about 40 yards the other side and not nearly far enough out of the line of fire for me to be comfortable taking the shot. And as soon as it- and the smaller one facing the other guy- saw him move, they were gone. That afternoon, nothing four-legged to be seen.

This morning I set up at a beautiful stand, there before light in a place where- according to the land caretaker- more deer have been taken than from any other spot. And I saw one small doe, in brush/grass high enough on the body and far enough away that I wouldn't have risked a wound instead of a clean kill.

And about half an hour after the doe wandered her way, a flock of wild turkey came by. Big tom in the lead, total of thirteen I counted, walking along in single file and eating as they went. Good news: if THEY didn't see/hear/smell me, the deer weren't either. Bad news: turkey season is closed. Whole bloody flock of them no more than 50 yards away, me with a solid shooting position, AND THE BLOODY SEASON IS CLOSED!

Dammit.

One thing I didn't see, unfortunately, is the four local celebrity critters. This area of western OK is currently home to one male cougar(black, yet!), one female and- with the female- two cubs. This is not opinion or guess, they've been seen by multiple people including the game warden. And there are BIG kitty tracks all around the area, sometimes paired with small kitty tracks. God knows my efforts didn't cut down on the food supply(there really are a hell of a lot of deer), and the people who own land in the area are very protective of them.

I'm hoping to maybe get out again before deer season closes, but I doubt it'll work.

No comments: