Wednesday, August 02, 2006

New grips, and a range report

A while back the Pistolero noted having put Hogue wraparound grips on a couple of pistols, a Ruger and a Kimber. I'd thought about this, but never having fired a pistol with this type grip I'd held off.

About a week ago, while wandering through a local store, I remembered to look at the things, and they had an Officer-size set of Hogues for a good price, so I broke down and bought them. After I put them on, did some dry-firing and draws, and they felt good.














Yesterday I took it to the range and put about 75 rounds through, mix of 230-grain handloads and 185-grain Gold Dots. And I wish I wasn't so damn cheap and had bought these a long time ago. They give me a much more stable grip during a fast draw, and more control during rapid-fire doubles. They were worth every penny.

Some of you who've been reading this for a while may remember that I reworked an old B-Square mount so I could use it on a WASR10 for a forward-mounted red dot sight. I've fired it twice before this, both times with the same damn problem; due(I think) to the crimped sides of the gas tube, the mount would start rotating to the left after a few shots. I thought I finally had this figured out so put about forty rounds through it yesterday. First, the mount did not shift on me, and second, I like this setup. Much faster to pick up in low-light conditions, and easier for accurate fire than the factory sights. Next time I make it to the outdoor range I'll settle in at a bench and test it properly, so far it looks promising.

No comments: