Sunday, July 30, 2006

On the subject of 'microstamping' fired cases,

the gentleman at mAss Backwards says it pretty well. Summed up by a future conversation:
"Hi, is this Mr. Bill Johnson, of 149 Elmwood Drive in Albany?"

"Yes it is. Who's this?"

"This is Detective Schifferbreins with the Boston Police Department. We recovered some shell casings at the scene of our city's latest homicide, and we traced them back to the Smith & Wesson .45-caliber handgun you reported stolen five years ago."

"Wow, that's amazing!"

"I know. It's this great new microstamping technology that made it all possible."

"So...you were able to catch the bastard who broke into my house, raped my wife, and stole my guns while I was out of town?"

"Well, um...not exactly."

"Oh. Well, did you catch the shooter from the homicide you're investigating?"

"Um...not exactly."

"But, you have a good idea who it was, right?"

"Um..not exactly"

"Oh. Well, did you recover the gun?"

"Um...not exactly."

"Oh. Well, when you do, can I have it back?"

"What are you, retarded?"


What else is there to say?


While you're over there, check out his other stuff, in particular on the idiot-level messed-up project known as the Big Dig. Start here. When I first found his site, one of the first posts I read was on his experience with this project early on. And it gave me another reason never to go to Massachussetts.

No comments: