Monday, July 31, 2006

I hate buying factory parts

for cars. The tailgate latch for my truck? One arm of the handle broke, which means the tailgate won't open. So I call Ford to see if they have them and how much. Yes, says the parts lady, they have the handle only, and have one in stock. $40.

After I hang up I state "THESE PEOPLE ARE OUT OF THEIR F'N MINDS!!! IT'S A DAMN PLASTIC HANDLE!! THIS IS-"

Ahem.

After that I got out the epoxy, took off the inside cover of the gate, open it, take out the latch and handle, epoxy the handle together and clamp. Then find the drill and some loooong #6 screws, and after the epoxy has cured drill a hole through the broken arm across the break, front to back of the handle, and put the screw in. Then do the other side.

It's back together now, and working. If this doesn't hold, I'll hit the salvage yard for an intact handle, but damned if I'll pay Ford that much for the thing.

No comments: