Sunday, April 16, 2006

Ever heard 'Year of the Cat'?

by Al Stewart? If not, why not? Kim had a post a few days back on the subject of music 'then and now', most specifically about Genesis. And I spent the weekend, while driving to, from and around TX listening to, among others, Stewart and the Alan Parsons Project. And it reminded my why I hate so much 'modern' music so bad.

On a morning from a Bogart movie
in a country where they turned back time,
You go strollin' through the crowd like Peter Lorre
contemplating a crime.
She comes out of the sun in a silk dress running
like a watercolor in the rain.
Don't bother asking for explanations, she'll just tell you that she came
in the Year of the Cat


Current crap with lots of bass and distortion and screaming 'singers' you can't understand just don't measure up.

He brought out his first album in 1967, and he's still out there working. More albums than I'd realized before I looked at his site. How about a verse from 'Song on the Radio':

I remember the first time I saw you
Alone in the dark with a drink
With a candle flame burning before you
And your thoughts closed in
You were staring out into the distance
Not seeming to hear what I said
Why did you put up such resistance
Like all the lights are red

Cause you and me baby
I saw you there
Straight away I knew
There's really no hiding
I'll tell you right now
What we're gonna do
We'll go collecting the days
Putting the moments away
You're on my mind like a
Song on the Radio


I was in that fairly disgusting period known as being a teenager when I first heard his work, and I've liked it ever since

No comments: