Monday, January 30, 2006

More tool box

Range box, this time. This is the basic; contents added to as necessary:


















Set of files
2oz. hammer
brass & steel punch set
screwdriver w/assorted bits
breakdown cleaning rod
precision screwdrivers(also known as damn little ones)
set of hex keys(not visible, under the files)

The rod is part of a Swiss cleaning kit for .30 cal machineguns


















Rod w/jag end, handle, bore brush, chamber brush, bottle of good oil, extra bottle for grease or whatever, and a small mirror. Picked it up from (I think) Cheaper Than Dirt for about $5.

With this I can file a sight, drift a sight for windage, loosen/tighten screws, which for the most part is all I try to do at the range. If I'm shooting corrosive-primed ammo, I add in a bottle of GI bore cleaner and a bag of patches; that way I can run a couple of wet patches through the bore while it's still warm, then dry and oil it.

Ideally, I'd have a good full-length cleaning rod along instead of a jointed, and when I don't forget it I do, but this way I've always got one along. And the hex keys were added after the previously mentioned M1 sight incident.

Like I said, the basic kit, contents vary according to what's on the schedule at the time.

No comments: