Friday, October 21, 2005

More progress

In some things, anyway. The friend I'm going to the Big Gun Show with has a set of short-range radios we've used the last couple of years. This year, between fire/marriage/moving twice, for some reason he can't find the damn things. So off I go to Wally World.

I now have a set of Uniden radios, max 3-mile range, run on three AAA batteries apiece, for the grand total of $18.22. If I had regular need of such, they had a set with 6-mile range, running on four AAAs each, with charger and eight NiMh batteries, for about $25. God, these things have improved.

By the way, when big trouble with China(the evil PRC China) happens, one of our big problems is so much of our small stuff has been farmed out to them. With virtual slave labor(non-virtual, in some cases) they've undercut our domestic makers of stuff so much that I don't think American companies even make some of the stuff anymore. Last time I needed some small files, the only ones I could find were made in either China or India. How much of our electronics come from China? Other countries, too, but the stuff that worries me is the huge amount of small, you-don't think-about-it stuff that comes from the PRC.

I'm to bed, up early tomorrow. I will, in due time, report on this thing.

No comments: