Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Roast and habanero's

A few years ago my folks gave me a roaster, one of the electric ones. It's nice, the cooking compartment lifts out for cleaning, and you can put all kinds of things in there and slow-cook them.

I stuck a roast in this afternoon, poured a pack of Lipton onion soup mix over it, added some water and garlic and sage- my usual method- and then took the one ripe chili off the habanero plant, sliced it into thin rings and layed them over the roast. Yeah, Steve gave me the idea. It cooked over about three hours, and came out nice and tender. The chili added a nice flavor to the meat, not hot at all, but damn! the gravy has a bite! I can't figure out how all the heat wound up in the gravy and not the meat, but the meat got much of the flavoring.

Not that it matters, really. It's damn good, and it'll give me stuff to take to work for a couple of days. Which is why a good-sized roast. Or making a big pot of chili or jambalaya. Or a pan of focaccia and a pot of tomato sauce with meat to dip it in.

Dammit, I wish I had more time to actually cook.

Note: I originally did this and the two previous posts last night, only Blogger said 'there were Errors'. Amazingly it held them, and I was able to put them up today.

No comments: