Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Trees

One reason I liked this house is the trees. There are trees, elms and maple and something I need to get around to id'ing all around, giving shade much of the year and places for the squirrels and birds. And some big bushes I keep forgetting to find out what are, but the blossoms are pretty, and the birds love them. There is one thing, though, about trees and the bushes; from early spring to late fall they grow.

And grow.

And grow.

Over the last two days I did a buttload of pruning, which is bad enough when it isn't 90+ degrees and 60-something humidity. Pole saw and pruning saw and ax, cut down the limbs, section and stack them. Thank God for power polesaws, without this one my arms would be falling off. There were some too close to the power lines, the one to my place and to the house next door, and some were hanging too far out. There's more to do, but it'll have to wait until I get rid of these. One nice thing about this area is every month the city has a big trash pickup day, so I'll be able to drag this all out front and they'll take it away.

The pup likes it, because she can steal a small branch and carry it off to chew on. Happily, she takes direction from the older dog and stays out of the way.

One of these days I'm going to rent a chipper. Most of this stuff is small enough to go in, and I can either use it for mulch or put it in the trash.

I like the trees, but pruning is a pain.

No comments: