Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Partial avian success

Some of the featherheads have discovered that seed has somehow begun to appear on the ground under the feeder. However, even though they fly near/around it, it hasn't occurred to them to land on the damn feeder and get the food directly.

It's been ten days, if I remember correctly. I've never seen birds take more than three, maybe four days to start hitting a feeder before. Maybe, within another day or two, they'll finally figure it out. I mentioned before that since some of these birds have to be some of those eating at the feeder in back, why aren't they hitting this one? Unless...

Do birds segregate? Are there 'backyard' birds and 'front yard' birds that don't mingle? "Get away from him, Daphne, do you know where he eats?" "John, dump that woman, she hangs around in fr0nt!"

Now I need a little paintball gun, so I can mark birds. Purely for scientific interest, of course.

No comments: