Monday, January 03, 2005

Man does not live by bread alone...

but it sure helps.

Some friends introduced me to this on a trip. Take fresh focaccia bread. Take a saucer. Pour in a little balsamic vinegar, then some spiced olive oil. Cut the bread into suitable strips, swirl in mix, eat.

Oh, man. The flavor and texture of the bread, the bite of the vinegar smoothed by the oil... It's got to be one of the reasons for living.

This batch of focaccia didn't turn out as well as the last, the texture is not as coarse; I think I let the machine knead it too long. I'll do the next batch same as the first. Less kneading, add in some finely-chopped red onion... or maybe some chopped green onion, that worked well before. Brush a little olive oil and garlic on top before the last rise and bake...

I think I better go to bed, or I'll be in the kitchen starting another batch. And I do have to work in the morning.

No comments: