Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Old ammo cans

Day after the Tulsa show, went to a local flea market with my son. He found an old jerry can for his truck, I found two WWII-era .30 caliber ammo cans, the ones marked 'Caliber .30M1' on the side.

After a little time on a wire brush all the rust was gone, and a trip to the ONLY store around here that sells OD Green spray paint now has them looking good. Real problem is seals. Any can this age, the rubber seal in the lid is shot(in one of these, it's gone completely), so to be really usable, need new seals. And I cannot find them anywhere.

I found that if you lay a bead of silicone sealant in the groove, once it cures it does a pretty good job, but I'd really like to put in the proper rubber. And so far, no one has any idea where to find any. Oddly enough, I've found several of the side-opening .50-caliber cans in the past, and in all those the seals were in pretty good shape; maybe less used or better stored over the years.

Maybe someday.

No comments: