Saturday, October 02, 2004

An interesting, and scary, exchange

One way or another I've been around law enforcement for quite a while, and I've met both kinds. Those who I'd trust with my kid's lives, and those I wouldn't trust to guard an empty doghouse, with all the variations between. One of the problems in law enforcement is that it both attracts people who want power over others, and some who enter the field develop it over time- much like bureaucrats in many agencies. And one of the effects in many is "I can have guns, you people shouldn't". Smallest Minority has a link to a e-mail exchange between a lady with Armed Females of America (don't you just love that name?) and someone who claims to be a New York PD officer. It's very instructive into the attitude problem.

One of the things that always comes up in the 'only cops & military should be allowed guns' line is that law enforcement are trained and more capable, and 'civilians' are not. My observation has been that an awful lot of cops- at one range they say most that come in- are lousy shots. Once they're on the force, most of them only practice when qualifications are coming up, and as long as they pass, that's it. Not another shot fired until next time. The last one I saw, a couple of weeks ago, was shooting from 5-15 yards with his Glock on a full-size silhouette. He had almost as many holes in the paper around the silhouette as there were in it. As he was leaving, I looked up as he passed by and he asked, "How you doing?" I said, "Better than I expected", and he responded "So am I!"
Folks, it was flat bad shooting, and he probably knew it, but since it might just be enough to qualify it was good enough. And that's what you commonly see. But that doesn't matter, you see, they're professionally trained, so lousy shooting doesn't really matter. Or something like that.

Anyway, check out the link. It's not good.


No comments: