Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Dan Rather and Sandy Berger

I heartily approve of all the beating up on Dan Rather. I haven't been able to stand him for years, and he finally let his partisanship pull him out into a position he can't bluff out of. A lot of media weenies are trying to help, but I don't think it'll work.

My strongest memory of Rather is from a newcast one day before we went into Bosnia. In one city people were able to get to the market for the first time in nearly two weeks, and while they were waiting to by someone dropped two or three mortar shells into the town square. It was a bloody mess. CBS News came on that evening (I still watched it then) and Dan said, in appropriately serious voice, something like "Massacre in Bosnia, dozens dead or hurting". And then, in a perked-up voice, "But first, in the O.J. Simpson trial today..." I have no idea what he said after that, as I was jumping up and down and screaming at the screen. I didn't like him before, and I flat couldn't stand him after that.

Ref Sandy Berger, Instapundit has questions from a man about Berger's case (scroll down). And they're good questions. This guy stole classified files from the National Archive, and 'lost' some of them. And now he's dropped out of sight. Is he going to be prosecuted? If not, why not? There's no excuse for either his actions, or the deference he's received from far too many people about this.

No comments: